Trying to improve the common space between the office and the ground floor flat next to it.
This is not an easy task since it is a two level narrow space currently used as a dump site. On its higher part it is about 2.5m lower than the street level and it has an aged and useless staircase since there are another 2 in close proximity. In addition, all the electrical metering and plumbing must be replaced and relocated.
Having seen the situation I proceed with all design limitations and considerations.
1. Since the space is narrow, any attempt to reduce the height in the short distance will simply "kill" the space available.
2. I must also consider hiding sewage pipes from the apartments above. These pipes were added at a later time in order to connect with the main city sewage system. Unfortunately they were lead away from the building and on the neighboring wall so the only option is to hide them otherwise they will all swim in... I can only remove one horizontal crossing but that's enough as I will be able to clear the headroom on entrance.
3. Before doing anything, I have to fill an old dwell with aggregate. It is about 1,2m wide and covered below the concrete floor very close to the building's foundations.... It was used to provide agriculture water using a windmill before the building was built (about 50 years ago...).
It's therefore time to start designing a bit...
At first, I have to detail everything with a TPS. Just for the record, I used a reflectorless Leica TCR 805. This gave me the exact outline of the space available and the exact levels needed for the 3D model.
I did a quick facade of the surrounding buildings in order to get the virtual sun shading right and adjust the lights for maximum efficiency.
My design recipe is quite simple....
1. Use local materials. (They will come cheap and they blend easier)
2. Flatten all existing walls if they are not flat already (I mean the surfaces that will be left exposed at the end). Use any texture you want so you can have a blank canvas to play with.
3. Start extruding volumes to the direction you want.
4. Add wood. It warms up any composition... In this case I went with a gray shade in the stain so it can blend easier to the urban environment.
5. Break large surfaces with blended texture and layer up. (Repetition of textures is your ally not your enemy...)
6. Add furniture and as many details you can. Empty spaces look lousy on renderings!
7. Add textiles to warm it up a bit so the viewer will get the picture in detail....
In this case I did extrude volumes on the short side but tried not to exceed a certain limit that would "suffocate" the passage way to the flat. In order to "break" the height of the concrete wall, I added a second shorter in front of it. This gave me some volume, the chance to hide the pipes and the ability to create a 3d playground. But the second wall is also tall. I therefore broke it down with recesses and extrusions. Trial and error and a bit of internet research will generate ideas in your head. I prefer using an illustrated book with garden designs. I guess I'm old school here...
I always experiment with the lights in every model. Night shots are quite impressive and can be proven a great tool during the commission and construction stage. However this is a very demanding task in terms of work hours and processing power and since this is a small exercise project to keep me in shape I didn't get on with it.
I am not a fan of post processing rendering photos. I prefer giving them out raw without any blurred parts. I want to show exactly what I want to do and they are also useful when talking to construction crews.
St Jerome said " Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best..."
Now I have to find some "change" to pay for it....
My design recipe is quite simple....
1. Use local materials. (They will come cheap and they blend easier)
2. Flatten all existing walls if they are not flat already (I mean the surfaces that will be left exposed at the end). Use any texture you want so you can have a blank canvas to play with.
3. Start extruding volumes to the direction you want.
4. Add wood. It warms up any composition... In this case I went with a gray shade in the stain so it can blend easier to the urban environment.
5. Break large surfaces with blended texture and layer up. (Repetition of textures is your ally not your enemy...)
6. Add furniture and as many details you can. Empty spaces look lousy on renderings!
7. Add textiles to warm it up a bit so the viewer will get the picture in detail....
In this case I did extrude volumes on the short side but tried not to exceed a certain limit that would "suffocate" the passage way to the flat. In order to "break" the height of the concrete wall, I added a second shorter in front of it. This gave me some volume, the chance to hide the pipes and the ability to create a 3d playground. But the second wall is also tall. I therefore broke it down with recesses and extrusions. Trial and error and a bit of internet research will generate ideas in your head. I prefer using an illustrated book with garden designs. I guess I'm old school here...
I always experiment with the lights in every model. Night shots are quite impressive and can be proven a great tool during the commission and construction stage. However this is a very demanding task in terms of work hours and processing power and since this is a small exercise project to keep me in shape I didn't get on with it.
I am not a fan of post processing rendering photos. I prefer giving them out raw without any blurred parts. I want to show exactly what I want to do and they are also useful when talking to construction crews.
St Jerome said " Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best..."
Now I have to find some "change" to pay for it....




No comments:
Post a Comment