Following some bureaucratic hotel affairs that I undertook, I was assigned by the managers of Sunshine Hotel to conduct a renovation plan starting from the restaurant area which is the main source of income.
Sunshine Hotel is located in Lothiarika Beach in Rhodes approximately 55km from the city. A nice and quiet area on the south east part of the island, that provides relaxation to the visitor. In close proximity from the hotel are the villages of Lardos and Lindos (which by the way is a place of unique architecture).
I didn't have many choices for the materials that I am going to use.
Local stones, Wood, and exposed concrete since I want to give it a modernized look and "break up" the stone volumes. All of that combined with stainless steel. The recipe is the same as Elvita Hotel which is about 60 meters away... But I couldn't help it because I'm a true fan of uniformity...
The existing restaurant is in two levels, I created a third open level on the side and connected all three of them with wide staircases in order to "break up" the vertical distance and smooth out the transition between them.
I started adding a lot of trees and flowers in order to create a small micro-clima and drop the average temperature during the daytime. I combined the natural stone with bougainvillea, olive and pine trees. Citrus trees could also be added but they produce quite some waste and they need a lot of attention which could be difficult when running a hotel business in high season. The addition of aromatic plants (Night flower, Jasmine etc) with herb trees (Spearmint, Mint, Lavender, Rosemary and Basil) not only gives free supplies to the kitchen but also repels mosquitos which are quite a problem in the area.
I though about adding some water features but the installation is expensive and the maintenance is a real a pain so I discarded the idea.
Here are some of the renderings I came up with...
 |
| The entrance to the restaurant. Volumes from concrete and stone. |
 |
| I added paving bricks because they drop the average temperature. |
 |
| The bar seating area that will be shaded by large umbrellas. Combined with wooden deck and modern furniture |
 |
| The third level that I created is an extension to the dining area. White furniture combined with olive green and grey gives it a look of luxury and elegance. |
 |
| The enclosed dining area inspired by the simplicity of the traditional houses of Lindos and combined with large glass panels and stainless steel. |
 |
| Large glass panels provide natural light to the dining room and protection from early or late season rain. |
 |
| Just like every bar sitting area the table layouts are closer than the dining area giving the guests the chance to socialize easier. |
 |
| Smooth transition between the levels gives the sense of openness and comfort. |
 |
| I kept the bar layout modestly small. I am still thinking of adding stained glass panels instead of green but it will all come down to the overall cost. White minimal bar stools with concrete facade complete the look. |
 |
A view from the open dining area...
|
I am still working on the lights layout so stay tuned as I will be adding some night time renderings soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment